My New Years Resolution for 2019 - and No One for 2020

Promise
One year ago, I promised to reduce my personal consumption based CO2e emissions from 4.7 tonnes to 3.8 tonnes.

Result
In 2019, my personal consumption based CO2e emissions was 2.9 tonnes - a reduction of 1.8 tonnes. Together with the public emissions of 3.8 tonnes, that gives a total of 6.6 tonnes of CO2e. I've honored my NYE resolution but my emission levels are far from sustainable.

The average in Sweden is some 6 tonnes of personal consumption based CO2e emissions, so I'm a bit below the average but still higher than the one tonne target from IPCC. My emission levels are not OK!

However, I've reached the conclusion that this issue is larger than the sum of individuals and their actions.

While some individuals stop flying, others keep flying and governments build new airports and expand existing ones.

Individuals buy electric bikes, while governments builds pipelines and can't decide whether to expand oil refineries or not.

Get me right - the consumption we generate as individuals is driving the climate change, but this issue must be escalated to political and economical leaders. And the leaders must lead.

Next year
I won't give any new promises for 2020, but I'll keep monitor my emissions and try to keep them low. I expect to make at least one long distance trip to relatives, and several factors will affect whether it is reasonable to go by train or to go by CO2e-exhausting airplanes. And we will move to a new home, with a lot of consumption related to that relocation. My forecast for 2020 is 6.8 tonnes of personal CO2e emissions, which is pretty close to the Swedish average.

Most Important Actions to Stop Global Heating
  1. Make this matter matter - Talk about global heating
  2. Stop subsidizing fossil fuels - billions and trillions of money is spent by governments, subsidizing emissions. This must stop! - Make policy makers stop subsidizing fossil emissions.
  3. Call for actions from politicians on different levels. - Send letters, strip naked on zebra crossings, blog... 
  4. Let your money talk - avoid bad companies and products and tell the companies when you do it. 
  5. Select climate aware funds.
  6. Monitor own emissions
  7. Identify efficient actions to reduce the emissions, for example reducing red meat, flights and consumption.

Kommentarer

Populära inlägg i den här bloggen

Solceller för villa - viktigt att tänka på

Stupid Incentives for Small Electricity Consumers/Producers

How Much CO2e per kWh?